Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cannot open database requested in login ‘STS_Config. Login fails. Login failed for user ServerName\Administrator

I encountered this issue while upgrading wss 2.0 to wss 3.0 to other server.

I upgraded wss 2.0 to wss 3.0, first time it works fine.But due to some problem I installed all wss 2.0 and wss 3.0 - I installed wss 2.0 and restore sites.- Installed wss 3.0 and run Configuration Wizard.While running Configuration Wizards step 2 following error came.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to initiate the upgrade sequence.An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information:Cannot open database requested in login ‘STS_Config. Login fails. Login failed for user ServerName\Administrator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution that I got using trial and error:

I got this error because of some rights collection with domain. Even though I used Administrator login of the server, but the server was in domain. I solved this issue by adding the a user in domain in Administrators group of the server and login as that domain user id for installation and up gradation of wss 2.0 to wss 3.0.

Find more info. abt wss 2.0 to wss3.0 migration from http://shaiju-sp.blogspot.com/search/label/WSS%202.0%20to%20wss%203.0%20Migration

No comments: